Thursday, May 3, 2012

Of Dreaming and Big News

Well kiddies, we interrupt your regularly scheduled program...

... Well actually that's a lie. I write what I want when I want. As for the 30-day challenge. I don't know if I lost interest because I hadn't had any dreams lately or because I didn't have time to write a novel at present, but I have decided I will continue the challenge in the way I see fit. I will pick and choose the order to continue. Right now, however, I have woken up from a lovely nap and I had such a vivid dream I thought I'd share it. Also, I have some more treats for you, my excellent readership! Tonight I will post a second entry, a book review for a new sensation. Everyone in the e-reader community needs to get their hands on this title before it gets discovered! But more of that to come...

... Of Dreaming!

It was another frustrating day in the dump of an apartment I had come to call most loosely, "home." Myself, along with the fellow from apartment 3 were trying our best to chisel sweet potato patties out the malfunctioning main freezer. The whole bottom of the freezer had turned into a single, enormous ice block,  with the patties trapped inside. We had unplugged the freezer but if we let the thing completely unfreeze before extracting the patties they would somewhat loose their shape and become a hideous orange glob. We managed to wrestle the first half free before I had to leave for my first day at my new job.

As I walked into the bizarre building I would soon be calling my summer workplace, I stepped to the ordering booth beside the elevator. Already the calls were pouring in. My work cell was buzzing off the hook with people ordering their breakfast. They were highly demanding too. Most of them weren't interested in the standard fair like cereal or toast, (although I did have one toast order) instead looking for things a bit off the beaten track in the breakfast world, like lemon meringue pie. I typed my first order into the digital order box, uncertain what would happen next, then stepped onto the elevator.

My supervisor was waiting inside the elevator, a strange box made of bamboo, glass, and other unusual items. For instance the box seemed to defy physics by having room for a small dining room lounge. This was not the patron's elevator so that meant this must be our staffroom. Other workers smiled at me curiously. "Ah, there you are!" said my supervisor and she smiled, "These others are Chris, Arianna, James, Colby, and of course you already know Matt."

"Nice to meet you." I said.

"Well, I am sure you have a ton for questions! Here's how most of it works. You will be working floors 7 through 9 today. You are in luck all your orders are on floor 9 for the first batch. Matt will show you the ropes. The food will be on the trolleys as you exit the elevators... oh do come sit!" She yanked me down into a nearby chair.

"Do I have time?"

"Yes, yes! Eat a croissant!"

I bit into one of the croissants from the basket in the center of the table. Someone was pouring me a cup of coffee as well. I felt sort of confused. Then again, my boss was an eccentric, old bastard. I could work anywhere in the world I chose with him. He would find me work suited to my skills, but in return he owned my soul 365 days a year. I had spent the last year teaching in some remote jungle-canopy schoolhouse. Next year, I hoped to go to Africa. He had found a job for me caring for newborns in some orphanage. Right now, though, I was in North America for the summer and he still owned me. At least soon I would have enough money to move out of my dump apartment.

"I must admit I am rather disappointed," my supervisor intoned, breaking my thoughts, "You have barely said a word. I am wondering if you don't like us. You haven't told us a single story about yourself!"

"Oh, ummm... sorry. I didn't mean to... it's just that I am feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment." I looked around at the confusion of the elevator/staffroom. Actually, it was more like a tearoom. I am a naturally shy person and it was becoming very clear to me my supervisor was not. She was probably a big gossip. I would have to be careful what stories I did tell her in the future.

"Of course! Not to worry! Well, soon enough we will be the best of friends. I wouldn't be surprised if you end up living with me!" she laughed. It was a joking tone, but underneath it I felt that she was actually serious. I felt certain this might have been a common occurance that other employees had lived with her for periods of varying lengths. I hoped I would not succumb to this torture... ever. I was aware, however, that somewhere inside she was already weakening my willpower and good reason, like a spider, waiting for its pray.

"Well now! This is floor 9! Off you go and good luck!" she pushed me out of my seat.

I stepped out of the elevator and onto floor nine. It looked almost like a hallway in a hospital, rather than a guesthouse. I remembered then that I was supposed to grab some trolley. I didn't remember seeing any but I turned around. The entire interior of the elevator had changed. There was no staffroom, and only my supervisor and another unfamiliar man. Both were standing, as people do on elevators. Now, however, the elevator was full of tea trolleys with various foods and there were tables along the edges with coffee machines, plates of toast, and other food items. I gawked at it all. Matt was standing beside me waiting, but said nothing. I had no idea which trolley was mine so I consulted an electronic list next to the elevator to see what I needed. Before I had much time to skim it my supervisor pushed a trolley towards me, "This one is yours. You still need to grab a toast and 2 coffees, but this is the only one with lemon meringue pie."

I quickly grabbed the other items and stepped off the elevator again to where Matt was waiting. My supervisor waved a cheery goodbye as the elevator door closed. This was going to be an eventful day!


No comments:

Post a Comment