Saturday, May 21, 2011

Pirates of Bangkok

I decided it was about time I went to the mall... and I'll admit, it having a movie theatre was the deciding factor. I wanted to see Pirates of the Caribbean 4. I also needed to get a phone. I asked one of the girls where to catch the bus to Mall Bangkae and there is a stop about a block from my house. As it turns out the bus is the most affordable method of transport I have found yet that doesn't involve walking in 36 degree Celsius heat, just 6.50 Baht was my fair. Armed with only the knowledge that Mall Bangkae was 7 floors high and had a waterslide on the roof, I set off. As it turns out the waterslide is not visible but there are tents and foliage on the roof. There is also a huge sign that reads "Paradise at the Mall" with a giant pink flower. I only counted 6 floors of actual mall but perhaps the waterslide on the roof is considered a floor. On top of all this is another 4 floors of offices. The fourth floor, where I spent most of my time is home to 2 arcades, Karaoke rooms, clothing shops, a food court, a bowling alley, a fitness centre, conference rooms, and movie theatres... oh and one of the arcades just happens to me in a mock village called "City Walk" and includes a flying pirate ship tram that runs along the roof. There were at least 4 Japanese restaurants alone on this floor (and more on other floors). There were also all manner of other restaurants and food vendors. One of the Japanese places had the rotating sushi bar, so I will be back to sample that when it is less busy. Lunch looked not too busy but when I came out from my movie at 4:30pm there was a huge line of people waiting for seats.





A few notes about seeing movies in Thailand. First of all you get to pick your seats in advance so you can buy your ticket then shop until 5 minutes prior to the movie and still have a good seat. It cost 140 Baht, so that is just a bit less than I would pay in Canada but very expensive by Thai standards. Concession food was overpriced just like in Canada. They don't sell butter with popcorn but they have salt or cheese. When you go in to take your seat there is a security check point to make sure you don't have a video camera or food that was not purchased at the Concession. They also will keep any bulky bags safe for you. Before the movie there are lots of credits but also a time when you must stand to show respect for the King. If you know anything about Thailand then you will know this means you MUST stand. Pirates of the Caribbean 4 was in English with Thai subtitles. I thought it was funny that the guy at the counter stressed to me "English Only!" when that was the language we were conversing in. I chose the non-3D version because 3D often makes me sick because my eyes try to correct to normal. There was a stand outside the theatre that sold Pirates t-shirts and notebooks. And you could buy the Pirates combo and it came with an action figure of Jack Sparrow on the lid of the drink. I just stuck with popcorn. The movie was excellent. It was about 2 and a half hours long.

Before heading home I bought a phone and then took a peak at each floor in the mall. I think I will be back just because if I take the stairs and walk around it will be good exercise and also it is air conditioned. Now that I know how to use the bus this opens up more possibilities for travel. The bus on the way back cost more. My tickets said I paid 14 Baht but I paid 8. I only had my address card for the school on me so they dropped me off at the market instead of the stop near my house. This was okay, except I was dressed in my green summer dress which has no shoulder straps and my neighbourhood is ultra-conservative. It felt like my skin was burning with all the stares, and I am used to stares being a farang. I went home to change before going to get dinner because I didn't want to cause more offense than I already had.

2 comments:

  1. We saw POTC 4 here in Bots too. One thing they definitely do better here is seat selection. Why the heck don't theaters in Canada do that? We didn't have the 3D option, but that's ok. I honestly didn't like this one nearly as much as the others. Perhaps it is because I took a Religion and Film class and POTC 4 was chalk full of religious connotation - not sure why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah they have seat selection here too! The only problem with that is they won't let anyone into the theatre until 2 minutes before the movie. But I always get a great seat and then have time to look around the mall before the movie!

    ReplyDelete